Recipe: Pinzgauer Kasnock'n
It's obvious - this spicy and tasty smell, which lures children and grown-ups into the kitchen. The only thing you can see are content faces and grins and all you can hear is a quiet mmmmmmh. Yes, when there are Kasnock'n at the table, everyone is happy.
My first favourite food ever, have definitely been Kasnock'n. And it is still really special when you can smell the melted cheese and brown butter in the whole house. Because nothing quite tastes like home as this dish - freshly made by my grandmother or mum. Bring a bit of this homey feeling of Saalfelden Leogang home with this recipe!
Tips for preparation:
The ingredients are the most important thing when it comes to this traditional dish. Traditionally, the Pinzgauer Kasnock's are being made with Pinzgauer Bierkäse (this is a very intensive cheese). And this cheese gives off the Kasnock'n a special aroma. Moreover, it is important that the dough has the correct consistency and how form the dough with the slicer. The dough can be made with milk and water. When you make the dough with milk, the Nock'n get more tasty and softer - but there are several different opinions. The best is that you try both variants and then you tell us your favourites.
- Put the flour and a pinch of salt in a bowl
- Add a little bit of water and stir everything
- Add the eggs, mix and add the rest of the water
- Stir everything thoroughly with a cooking spoon until the dough is really firm
- Press the dough through a slicer with a spatula into the hot water and stir regularly so that the Nock'n do not stick to the pan
- Let the Nock'n boil and then put them under cold water
- Heat the clarified butter in a pan, add the Nock'n, also add salt and pepper as you like and then add the small cut cheese. Stir everything and let it simmer on low heat until the cheese melts and you get a delicious cruste
- Put the butter in a small pan, and let it get brown
- The last step is to pour the brown butter over the Kasnock'n, serve it with fresh chives and a green side salate
We wish you good look and enjoy your Kasnock'n!