Recipe: Pinzgauer Kaspressknödel
Since always have Kaspressknödel (cheese dumplings) been my favourite food - and nobody makes them as good as my grandmother does. However, this might be due to the fact that grandmother's instructions mostly sound like this: just a little bit, just a pinch of, you will see. We tried to make this recipe as concret for you as possible.
Doesn't matter, whether in a soup or on salat - Pinzgauer Kaspressknödel always taste delicious. If you know how to make them, they are cooked very quickly and they can be stored in the freezer for a longer period of time. So, you could say that they belong to the category "easy kitchen". This recipe is perfect for those of you, who want to have a taste of Saalfelden Leogang at home.
Tips for preparation
When preparing Pinzgauer Kaspressknödel, it is important that all ingredients have room temperature. That's the easiest way of preparing them. You are only allowed to say original Pinzgauer Kaspressknödel, if you use original Pinzgauer cheese. This is a low-fat cheese, which is made with skimmed milk. You can buy this kind of cheese at special grocery shops, at farmer's shops in Saalfelden or at the local shop Dorfladen in Leogang. And of course you can buy the cheese at the alpine huts, where it is produced.
There are two different ways of preparing. Either you make the dumplings a little bit slimmer and fry them, so that you can enjoy them on a salat. Or you make them a little bit thicker and enjoy them in a hot soup. If you decide to eat them in a soup, boil the Kaspressknödel for about 10 minutes in hot water and then serve it in the soup with fresh chives.
- Stir milk, eggs, salt, pepper and nutmeg thoroghly
- Lightly saute the onions in the butter, but be sure that they do not get brown
- Mix the sauted onions with the pieces of whitle bread
- Add the milk-egg mix
- Add the remaining ingredients: parsely, cheese and lemon zest
- Mix everything well and let it rest for about 5 minutes
- Sprinkle the mixture with some flour
- Form small dumplings from the mixture and slightly press them
- Heat the clarified butter in a pan, put the cheese dumplings in and carefully press them down with a cooking spoon
- Fry them slowly at medium heat
- Serve the Kaspressknödel (cheese dumplings) either in a hot soup or on a salat and enjoy them!
This time we have filmed the whole preparation process and you can have a look at the video. There you can see exactly how to prepare them. Enjoy!
All pictures in this article have been made with the GoPro Hero8!