Recipe: Curd cheese dumplings
In this article, we show you how to make an Austrian dessert, which is absolutely popular: curd cheese dumplings! They are fluffy, sweet and tremendously delicious. If you see them on a dessert menu, do not hesitate to order them, you will definitely not regret it. However, if not, here is the perfect recipe for you to make them at home.
My cookery book says: "When you can make curd cheese dumplings, you are an awesome dessert cook. But do not have inhibitions about making desserts: It is not as difficult as it seems!" And we can definitely agree here. It really isn't that difficult, especially when you have the ultimate recipe, which we tell you today.
Tips for preparation
The biggest fear, while cooking dumplings, always is that they fall into pieces when putting them into the boiling water. However, so that exactly this won't happen, we coat the dumplings with coarse-grained flour before we put the them into the boiling water. Another important point is to leave the dough to rest in the fridge for about 2 to 3 hours, before you start to work with it. After the rest time, the dough is really compact and you can work with it easier.
Ingredients for 4 portions
For the dough:
- 350 g curd cheese, 10% dry
- 100 g white bread without the crust, cut in small slices
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 small eggs
- 25 g butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons of icing sugar
- Leomon zest
- A pinch of cinnamon
- A splash of rum
- Some coarse-grained flour
- Poppy seeds
- Icing sugar
As a side dish:
- Fresh fruits for example strawberries
- Mix all ingredients for the dough (exept for the flour) thoroughly and keep in mind that there shouldn't be any butter pieces left.
- When the dough is smooth enough, cover it with plastic wrap and put in in the fridge to rest for about 2 to 3 hours.
- After the rest time, form small dumplings and coat them with flour.
- Boil them in hot water for about 12 minutes.
- In the meantime, melt the butter in a pan, fry the breadcrumbs and add a pinch of salt and a pinch of cinnamon.
- Prepare another pan, where you melt some butter and add a pinch of salt.
- Mix the poppy seeds with the icing sugar.
- Coat half of the dumplings with the breadcrumbs and the other half with the salted butter.
- Prepare one dumpling coated with breadcrumbs and one with salted butter and add fresh fruits. Sparkle the dumplings coated with salted butter with the poppy seeds and icing sugar mix.
Easter is not far, so here is a tip for small easter chocolate eggs. Fill the dumplings with them, so you have chocolate hazelnut cheese curd dumplings!