Leogang Parish Church
Fourth sacred building in LeogangThe present parish church is at least the fourth sacred building to stand in this location in Leogang. It is believed that the first attested house of worship made of stone in 1323 was preceded by one made of wood.
The original patron saint of the church… ...was St Aegydius, however since 1477 only St Leonhard, the “Bavarian Jesus” appears as the church’s sole patron saint.
Other points of interest
The proudest symbol of St Leonard in Leogang today is found the mighty chain that encircles the entire church. The rare chain-ringing motif is only found only in churches dedicated to St Leonard, and as the only St Leonard only church in the Archdiocese of Salzburg, ours is the only one encircled by an iron chain.
As an additional attraction of our house of worship, there is the painting “Mary, waiting” (image of a woman, circa 1700), which had disappeared from Leogang over 50 years ago, was bought back by the Bread Museum in Ulm in 1984.