Castles and Fortresses
Archaeological finds and references...
...in ancient documents supply a wealth of information about the castles and fortresses in the early history of our valley (Biberg, Burgbichl, and Ramseiden).
Lichtenberg Castle was built at the end of the 12th century and is considered the oldest preserved castle in the region. It was in the possession of the Archbishop of Salzburg for centuries and also served as the seat of the local Saalfelden court. It has been in private ownership since 1872 and is not open to the public.
Farmach Castle was first mentioned in a document in 1272. Like many other castles, it underwent many changes in the course of history.
- It was converted to the seat of the local court in 1821 and later became both the district court and tax office.
- It has been in the possession of the municipality of Saalfelden
- and since its last renovation in 1980 has served as a nursing home.
No exact dates are available regarding the origins of Dorfheim Castle. A certain “noble family von Hunt of Dorfheim,” first mentioned in a document at the end of the 14th century, was in possession of the castle for
Regrettably, the lavish furnishings referred to in some records no longer exist today since the majority of the building was destroyed in a fire in 1901 and it was only partially reconstructed. Dorfheim Castle, too, is in private ownership. It is currently used for agricultural purposes.
Ritzen Castle is another historic jewel of Saalfelden. Originally called Grub Castle, its existence was first documented in 1339. It served as the residence of the Ramseider and Weitmoser families.
In the 17th century, the castle acquired its current name from its then owner Heimeram Ritz. It came into the possession of farmers in the 19th century and gradually lost its original features. Ritzen Castle was acquired by the municipality in 1964 and was converted to the present-day Heritage Museum.
Back to overview Official Website