International Jazzfestival Saalfelden 22nd -25th of August 2013
Impressive mountain crests, fresh air and jazz – an alluring combination which has attracted music and mountain enthusiasts for many years. The Jazzfestival in Saalfelden Leogang, situated in the midst of Salzburg’s mountains, has achieved an excellent reputation for contemporary and experimental jazz in the past 33 years.
The first “Three days of jazz” Saalfelden took place in 1978 at the so-called “Ranch”. Several years later, the festival was replaced into an extra-built tent city in Ramseiden. In 2006, the city center of Saalfelden became the new venue for the festival and has hosted the event ever since.
Every year in August the city of 16.000 inhabitants turns into the hub of the jazz universe for four days. The Jazzfestival Saalfelden is a highlight in the European music calendar, also because the term “jazz” has always been construed very openly in this town. It is a stage for experiments, for the unknown and the new. The organizers try to be on the pulse of time and to come up with new ideas in order to deal with the multifaceted elements of jazz and its many different styles.
The opening of the Jazzfestival always takes place on a Thursday when the City Stage concerts on the town square invite the audience to dance and to get into the right mood for the upcoming four days for free. Thereafter, the Shortcuts in the Kunsthaus Nexus should not be missed: it is a must for inveterate Jazz fans. Thus, it is by no means surprising that the concerts are very often sold out. The main concerts start on Friday on the Main Stage in Saalfelden’s Congress, which can also be found in the city’s center. Famous artists as well as newcomers of the international Jazz scene meet there every year. The “Almkonzerte” on four different huts in Saalfelden’s surrounding mountains are scheduled for Saturday and Sunday. The jazz music combined with a breathtaking panorama turn the “Almkonzerte” into the visual highlight of the weekend.
book package deal
Between the 23rd and the 28th of August 2012 the historical Jazzfestival Saalfelden transformed the whole town once more into one big stage.
As every year, jazz fans embarked on a musical journey at the International Jazzfestival Saalfelden. Be it Free Jazz, Blues, Rock-, Pop- or Electronic tunes – everything could be found in the multifaceted program. It is fraught with risk, but rich in variety and as such there is something for everyone who loves music.
The Jazzfestival Saalfelden has become legendary a long time ago, because it is a place of experiments, which provides the audience with the possibility of getting to know the diversity of this music style and to deal with it. Numerous world-, Austrian –, and European premieres, which are partly broadcasted live into 23 countries, can be listened to every year.
- 138 artists from 13 countries enthused the audience on 30 concerts with unique sounds four days long. Michaela Mayr and Mario Steidl, the program directors of the Jazzfestival, once again put emphasis on contrasts in the program where fresh and new sounds created a stirring atmosphere.
- More than 200 journalists from all over the world came to Saalfelden to report on the Jazzfestival. Many organizers of other famous festivals were also welcomed to Saalfelden.
- The Jazzfestival is known internationally and considered to be a market place that has global relevance - an ideal platform for new encounters and intercultural exchange in the jazz scene. The numerous Austrian artists are offered a chance to distinguish themselves from others on stage, to establish themselves on the international jazz scene and to present their new programs.
- More than 14.000 visitors at the Main Stage, the Shortcuts, the City Stage, the “Almkonzerte” an in the gastro area show that the festival has a special status. The sold out Shortcuts, the well sold Main Stage, as well as the nine concerts on the City Stage and on the huts free of charge were embraced by the audience.
- The “YOUNG” Sounds of Saalfelden – the key visual in comic-design.
The advertising agency Rahofer has put “The Sounds of Saalfelden” in the limelight for the third time in a row and thereby established a harmonious concept. The Sujet 2012 is a young and comic interpretation of the concept with sujets that enriched the jazz theme with a completely unknown aspect – humorous and winking, but still clear-cut sound associations.