Climbing is the trend sport par excellence!
What is sport climbing?
Sporty, performance-oriented climbing on rock walls of different heights near the valleys and at higher altitudes. Most people reach their limit scrambling along with a 70m rope. (The exception proves the rule).
The routes are consistently very well secured with bolts. Personal responsibility is needed in the assessment of the safety gear. Ascents and descents are usually straightforward and not too long.
Passauer Hütte - Leoganger Steinberge
With the areas at the so-called Kaffeeköpfl and Kuchelhorn there are many opportunities for climbers nearby the huts. Especially the newly established short routes at Kuchlhorn offer solid rock.
- Zones: 2- Kuchlhorn, Kaffeeköpfl
- Number of routes: approx. 25
- Route lengths: up to 250 m
- Difficulty level: 5-8
- Safeguarding: good with harness
- Altitude: 2100 m
- Approach: 10 – 35 minutes
- Base: Passauer Hütte
- Approach to the base: 2.5 hours
- Aspects: South to west
- Character: Wall, often perpendicular to Alpine rock
Lohfeyer - Weißbach bei Lofer
Definitely worth a trip - a hotspot with direct parking at the Gasthof Lohfeyer and short approach. Only the entry routes are missing.
- Zones: 2
- Number of routes: 59
- Climbing length: up to 30 m
- Difficulty level: 5 to 10
- Altitude: approx. 1000 m
- Approach: 20 minutes
- Aspect: Southeast
- Character: perpendicular to overhanging wall climbing
Brechl - Weißbach bei Lofer
Above the village of Weißbach, the climbing areas "Wunderland", the Kinderklettergarten" and the "Zweite Dimension" offer the finest climbing for all abilities - extra parking for climbers.
- Zones: 4
- Number of routes: 83
- Climbing length: 7m - 32m
- Difficulty level: 4 to 10
- Altitude: approx. 700m
- Approach: 10 – 30 minutes
- Aspect: Southwest
- Character: lots of overhanging wall climbing
Frohnwies - Weißbach bei Lofer
The climbing areas along the B311 are widely known for routes in the highest grades. Somewhat hidden away in the forest, they provide the ideal playground on hot days. Endurance climbing on small rails.
- Zones: 4
- Number of routes: 89
- Climbing length: 7 - 30 m
- Difficulty level: 4 to 11
- Altitude: approx. 600 m
- Approach: 5 to 15 minutes
- Aspects: West to south
- Character: inclined to overhanging wall climbing
For more information about the individual routes we would recommend one of these climbing guidebooks.
Climbing guide Steinplatte
Waidringer Steinplatte, Loferer Alm, Loferer Steinberg, Leoganger Steinberg, Hohlwegen & Klettergärten Adi Stocker (author and photographer)
Detailed information on all climbing tours in Saalfelden Leogang can be found in the Steinplatte climbing guidebook.
Available in the in Saalfelden and Leogang tourist offices.
Rock Projects Climbing Guidebook
Pinzgau, Berchtesgaden, Salzburg, Flachgau Tennengau, Pongau - Mag Joachim Mayr & Timo Huber Gastager (Authors).
In this climbing guidebook, you will find detailed information about climbing in Salzburg and Berchtesgaden