Saalfelden Leogang, PillerseeTal & Salzburger Saalachtal
Variety for beginners and professionals alike
Climbing and mountaineering between Steinberge and Grasberge Mountains
Thanks to the ubiquitous "Steinberge and Grasberge mountains,” Leogang, with its high alpine meadows, gorges, caves and trenches, presents an almost unsurpassable variety of challenges for mountaineers. The power of the mountain landscapes between Leoganger Steinberge and Steineres Meer is something you can only experience with rope and hook - and of course, ideally with a certified mountain and ski guide.
Saalfelden Leogang has enjoyed a steep climb to the top among those who have fallen in love with sport climbing. In Saalfelden Leogang they are on the move in one of the most varied and most famous climbing areas in Austria. You can get started in two indoor climbing walls and in the wild. A high ropes course, three via ferratas of different levels of difficulty and the 120 climbing routes in the Leogang Steinberge mountains can be "tackled" between Kuchelhorn, Kaserwand and Fahnenköpfl. The entire Steinberge mountains' climbing region which also includes the Lofer Steinberge mountains and Steinplatte Waidring has opened up to 1,000 different routes. You can find everything you want to know about climbing in and around Saalfelden Leogang is the "Climbers Paradise" handbook.
Everyone who has a valid Skicircus Liftticket can use the Climbing Hall Saalfelden and the Instruction Course Program with a reduced prices (-20%).*
*except Ski Alpin-, Salzburger Super Ski- & Kitzbüheler Alpen All Star Card.
No multiple discounts permitted.
In recent years, the ascent routes have been uniformly marked on selected climbing areas, specially designated parking spaces created and overview panels designed for the individual sites. In addition to the existing climbing guidebooks we came out with our own "Climbers Paradise" handbook that not only summarizes the climbing opportunities, but also provides valuable information about climbing and detailed route descriptions and topo maps.
Climbers Paradise: Climbing is the trend sport par excellence!
The building of new climbing gyms is booming in Germany and Austria. Weather-independent indoor climbing is becoming increasingly popular among our young people and allows a relatively straightforward way of learning the skills necessary to practice this sport as safely as possible.
However, there still remains a risk in doing this sport
- ...whether you practice indoors now,
- in climbing parks/areas,
- or on the rockface of the mountain peaks.
We recommend that you:
- wear a helmet
- learn the necessary rope techniques from expert guides
- have appropriate leisure/sports insurance
The Climbers Paradise includes
- in addition to the Saalfelden Leogang resort region
- the regions of Pillerseetal
- and the Salzburger Saalachtal.
This offers the best conditions for practicing this sport in all its facets, whether indoor or outdoor. For beginners, intermediate and advanced climbers, there is an almost inexhaustible range of places with more than 1,000 different possibilities within a radius of only 25 minutes by car.
Facts about climbing opportunities...
...in Saalfelden Leogang, Pillerseetal & Salzburger Saalachtal:
- well over 500 sport climbing routes
- numerous multi-pitch and Alpine climbing tours
- 6 rock climbing crags (Halser Grund dedicated to young climbers)
- 7 via ferratas in different levels of difficulty
- 2 indoor climbing gyms
- High ropes course and two low ropes courses in Fieberbrunn
- specially certified climbing accommodations with expert advice
- guided climbing tours with the Fun Connection or our certified mountain guides
- Climbing courses and kids climbing both in and outdoor
- 3 cable cars get climbers to the top with ease
- A comfortable ride by car over the toll road gets you directly to the Steinplatte
- Uniform signage of all climbing facilities
- Varied holiday programme for the whole family
- Climbing courses
Bergabenteuer - Leogang
Berg- und Skiführer - Leogang
Berg und Kletterschule
Dany & Georg Oberlechner
Berg- & Skiführer
For more information about the individual routes we would recommend one of these climbing guidebooks.
Climbing guide Steinplatte
Waidringer Steinplatte, Loferer Alm, Loferer Steinberg, Leoganger Steinberg, Hohlwegen & Klettergärten Adi Stocker (author and photographer)
Detailed information on all climbing tours in Saalfelden Leogang can be found in the Steinplatte climbing guidebook.
Available in the in Saalfelden and Leogang tourist offices.
Rock Projects Climbing Guidebook
Pinzgau, Berchtesgaden, Salzburg, Flachgau Tennengau, Pongau - Mag Joachim Mayr & Timo Huber Gastager (Authors).
In this climbing guidebook, you will find detailed information about climbing in Salzburg and Berchtesgaden